A muffin with the health benefits of Flax Seed and Oats without sacrifice to taste. These are tender and moist with just enough sweetness to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter – softened (I put mine in the microwave for 10 seconds)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup old fashion oats
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Flax Seed – slightly ground (you get more health benefits this way)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1 ½ cups lemon flavor low-fat yogurt (not Greek style)
- Paper muffin cups
- About 12 tablespoons of old fashion oats for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees making sure your oven rack is in the lower middle position.
- Beat the soften butter and sugar with mixer on medium-high speed starting at a lower speed to prevent a big mess. Do this until it is light and fluffy (for just a few minutes). Add vanilla extract then one egg at a time, mixing well after each egg.
- Whisk flours, Flax seed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
- With the mixer, beat in half of dry ingredients and half of yogurt into the butter sugar. Repeat with the remaining.
- Add 12 paper cups to a muffin tin
- Using a ice-cream scoop, add one scoop per paper lined tin
- Sprinkle each muffin with oats making sure you see no batter
- Bake for 25-28 minutes – You are looking for a golden brown top and making sure the muffin tops spring back when you lightly push them.
- Remove muffin tin from oven and rest for five minutes on the stove top
- Remove muffins from tin and place on wire track to cool for just a few minutes
- Try not to eat all in one sitting!