Enlarged to show texture
When I want a Burrito I want a Burrito! There was a great sale on Sirloin steak at the store and it’s too cold outside for the gill so that means it’s steak burrito time! You can put whatever you want in a burrito so be creative. I do recommend if you use rice do not use the minute kind. If you use the rice that takes longer you will be rewarded in taste and texture.
Ingredients – for two large Burrito
- Guacamole – see my recipe Homemade Baked Taquitos and Guacamole
- Burrito sized flour tortillas
- Yellow onion – sliced (this ones for grilling)
- Sirloin Steak – season with a dash of salt and pepper
- 1 cup of pinto beans – cooked and drained
- 1 cup of Colby cheese – shredded
- Tomato – seeded and diced
- Yellow onion – diced
- 2 cups White Rice – cooked – the real stuff please none of that minute kind
Steps before you eat it
- Start cooking the rice, this can take a while
- Add diced tomato and diced yellow onion to a bowl and blend
- Grill the sliced onion in a skillet on medium high heat then remove and place on a serving dish
- Add steak to the skillet and cook until desired pinkness – me I went with 5 minutes per side. Remove and let rest on a cutting board for about 5 minutes then cut into bite size pieces
- Heat your clean skillet
- Place a tortilla on a flat surface then add these ingredients in the following order: Cheese->Rice -> Steak -> Beans -> Tomato and Onion bend -> Cheese
- Now fold it up! Fold the sides in then role up tightly until completely sealed
- Carefully transfer to your heated skillet (seem side down first) and lightly brown one side for about 30 or so then flip and repeat
- Move to a plate and slice. You can add the Guacamole and sour cream to the plate as well for dipping
Now you can eat it!
I was trying to make a meatball Calzone but it ended up looking more like a meatloaf Calzone. It still tasted great and was a big hit for dinner and even leftovers. I would go so far to say it tasted even better as a leftover!
You will need pizza dough to make the Clazone which you can just use any pizza dough recipe. I went with the recipe from my bread machine book.
Ingredients for Calzone:
- Pizza dough – homemade or store bought
- 1 cup of Provolone cheese – shredded
- Classico spaghetti sauce – I love this stuff!
Ingredients for Meatball:
- 1 pound of 93% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Yellow onion – diced
- 1 garlic cloves – diced
- 1 cup of plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried Basal
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried Oregano
- 1 pinch of Kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 table spoons of tomato paste blend with a 1/4 cup of water
Build it, cook it, top it, eat it
- Make or purchase the pizza dough. I created mine with my bread machine
- Put all the Meatball ingredients into a large bowl and blend well
- Form the meatballs into even sizes – I made 5
- Put the meatballs in the Frig for about 15 minutes to cool back down so they will stay together during cooking
- Preheat a large skillet to medium high heat and place meatballs in skillet but make sure they are not touching. You will need to rotate the meatballs often so they cook evenly. I rotated them with a fork and spatula but be careful you don’t want these to fall apart. Cook for about 10 minutes or until brown with a crunchy outside.
- Remove from the skillet when done with a large spoon and place into simmering spaghetti sauce. Let the meatballs simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Roll out dough into 6 inch discs just like you would do if you where making a small pizza crust
- Place pinch of grated Provolone cheese in the center of the disc then place the sauced meatball in the center and wrap it up.
- Place seem side down on a baking sheet
- Brush each calzone with olive oil and top with the Provolone cheese
- Cook in oven for about 40 minutes
- Heat the spaghetti sauce
- When the calzones are done remove from oven and slice down the middle topping with spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with Parmusaun cheese
- Serve and enjoy!
Cooked and ready for slicing and saucing.
I am not sure how to categorize this dish, lets just go with creativity. I wanted to come up with something different and tasty that included Tri-Color Couscous and Chickpeas. Those two ingredients are not that tasty alone or even together so I had to get creative.
- Tri-Color Couscous – I cooked the entire package and cooking per package instructions. I added a link to show what these are http://www.worldmarket.com/product/world-market-tri-color-couscous.do?&from=fn
- Yellow onion – sliced
- Olive oil – a few tablespoons
- Garlic clove – chopped
- Chickpeas -1 12 oz can – heated in microwave then drained
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Cotto Salami – about 3 or 4 slices cut in to strips
- Asparagus – Cooked in the microwave for about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.
Start cooking the Tri-Color Couscous.
Heat a skillet with a few tablespoons of olive oil then cook the onion until soft then remove. To the same pan crisp up the Cotto Salami then remove. Again to the same same pan add garlic just enough to heat.
Slice about half the cooked Asparagus into bite sized pieces.
Add the tomato paste and garlic to the drained chickpeas in a small bowel to combine.
Add about 3/4 cup of Tri-Color Couscous to a plate then top with the Chickpea blend. Now per your taste add the sliced Asparagus, Onion and Cotto Salami. Add a couple of whole Asparagus to the side and serve.
Results of experiment: Success!
Mini-Burger with egg and Fried Onions
I was not going to post this recipe but after it was plated it looked to good not to post! Oh and it tasted great as well.
- Vegtiable oil for frying the onions
- Yellow onions – go with 2 or 3 good size then slice them
- 1 Tablespoon of flour
- Pepper – couple of grinds
- Salt – Dash
- Ground Beef – one pound – Go with the 93% lean. Yes I know 80/20 is known for a good burger but I prefer less fat
- 1 hard boiled egg – sliced with an egg slicer
- Mini buns/Dinner rolls
- Parmesan Cheese
First up is to prepare the French Fried Onions. You can purchase these in the store but they are so expensive for so little as for me I always make my own.
Add enough oil to a deep skillet that will cover the onions that are laid out in single layer. Heat the oil in the skillet. While the oil is heating put the sliced onions in a large bowl add a tablespoon or two of flour mixing to coat the onions.
Fry the onions in small batches turning once or twice. Be genital as the flour comes off easy. You have to watch closely while cooking because the onions go from nice and brown to burnt quickly. Once nice and brown remove from oil and place on a plate with paper towel. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Repeat until done.
Once the French Fried Onions are cool add about a cup to the ground beef and form patties that are 2 to 3 ounces in size. Cook in skillet over medium high each 3-4 minutes per side.
Slice your mini-burger buns/dinner rolls. You could toast them now.
Build the burger! Put the burger on the lower part of the bun. Add two slices of the hard-boiled egg, french fried onions, Parmesan Cheese then the top half of the bun with mustard. Eat!