Avocado with fried egg is a great combination on a sandwich and this is the first time I have ever tried this. This is a simple meal and a very satisfying! I will be making this again.
- Fresh buns – sliced – I used large homemade buns
- Provolone cheese
- Deli Ham – sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon of Butter
- Avocado – sliced
- Tomato – sliced if desired
- Hot Sauce – if desired
- Fresh ground pepper
- Warm the ham in a pan for about 10 seconds each side
- Add butter to pan wait for it to melt then add the egg. While the egg is cooking spoon the melted butter from the pan on top of the egg until done
- Add buns to same pan to toast and warm slightly
- To build the sandwich put bottom half of bun on plate followed by the cheese, ham, egg, sliced avocado, pepper. Optionally you can add the tomato and or hot sauce.
- Slice if to big then eat!
An enchilada that is not an enchilada but a cross between an enchilada and lasagna, yes its possible and better yet very tasty.
I wanted to get out of my recent repeat meal cycle and as a result I came up with this meal. Yes the meat and veggie part of the meal is similar to a recipe I came up with before but does not taste the same when combined like this.
Oh and this tastes great leftover the next day!
- 1 can of Las Palmas Enchilada Sauce
- 8 Corn Tortillas (or however many fit your baking dish)
- 1 cup – Cooked White Rice
- 1 pound of Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Green Bell Pepper – chopped
- 1 Yellow onion – chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves – diced
- dash of Salt
- 1 can of Black beans – drained
- 2 bricks of Cheddar Cheese – shredded
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
Cook it, build it, Cook it , Eat it
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Add vegetable oil and let heat then add green pepper then onion to medium high heated skillet and cook for about 3 minutes or until they just start to turn brown
- Add ground beef to skillet brown and crumble
- Add Black beans, garlic and dash of salt and mix well
- Heat Las Palmas Enchilada Sauce in microwave for about a minute. Put this in a container with a large opening as you will be dipping the corn tortillas into the container
- Spray baking dish with cooking spray
- Now do the building and cook it:
- Dip 2 tortillas into the Enchilada Sauce and place the tortillas on the bottom of the baking dish
- Add a portion of the meat veggie mixture in an even layer then top with cheese then two more dipped tortillas
- Add a layer of white rice then cheese and yes two more dipped tortillas
- Once again add a portion of the meat veggie mixture in an even layer then top with cheese then two more dipped tortillas
- Pour sauce into baking dish carefully covering your stack of goodness
- Top with cheese
- Cover the baking dish in aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes
- Remove foil and broil until cheese is bubbly and a golden brown
- Let cool in baking dish for a few minutes before cutting and serving
This is the sauce I used. It does say mild on the can but I would say this is medium.
The very first layer
We have a layer of tortillas, meat and veggie mix, cheese, tortillas, rice, cheese, tortilla, meat and veggie mix, and cheese
I added another layer of tortillas, the sauce and cheese. Now it’s ready for the oven!
Cooling and waiting to be cut and served
This pizza is so good you will have to make it again and will not be able to stop at eating two pieces. I mean this is REALLY GOOD! I would not change a thing.
If you try this let me know what you think. This was a huge hit in my house. Plus it was a great use of leftovers.
Ingredients – for a 12 inch pizza
- Pizza dough – homemade or store bought. I went with homemade using my bread machine to kick things off
- 5 small BBQ Chicken thighs – cooked and chopped. I used my leftovers that I cooked on the gill. I grilled them four minutes per side, brushed with BBQ sauce on each side cooking an additional 30 seconds each side
- 1/4 cup – Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce – enough to just coat the pizza
- 1 Onion sliced into rings then sliced in half
- 3 slices of cooked bacon – chopped
- 1 cup of grated white cheeses blend – just enough to coat the top of the pizza
- Dash of Oregano to garnish
Your onions should look like this.
Everything but the cheese.
Build it and they will eat it!
- Prepare pizza dough
- Preheat oven to 450 F
- Caramelize the onion
- Top the pizza dough with BBQ sauce (see picture below)
- Top the pizza with the onion, chicken, bacon and cheeses
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese in golden brown
- Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing
- See if you can only eat two pieces!
Top with BBQ sauce
I have BBQ sauce, I have chicken, I have onion, I have bacon.
I am cheesy and ready to be baked!
Waiting to be sliced
still waiting to be sliced
Enlarged to show texture
When I want a Burrito I want a Burrito! There was a great sale on Sirloin steak at the store and it’s too cold outside for the gill so that means it’s steak burrito time! You can put whatever you want in a burrito so be creative. I do recommend if you use rice do not use the minute kind. If you use the rice that takes longer you will be rewarded in taste and texture.
Ingredients – for two large Burrito
- Guacamole – see my recipe Homemade Baked Taquitos and Guacamole
- Burrito sized flour tortillas
- Yellow onion – sliced (this ones for grilling)
- Sirloin Steak – season with a dash of salt and pepper
- 1 cup of pinto beans – cooked and drained
- 1 cup of Colby cheese – shredded
- Tomato – seeded and diced
- Yellow onion – diced
- 2 cups White Rice – cooked – the real stuff please none of that minute kind
Steps before you eat it
- Start cooking the rice, this can take a while
- Add diced tomato and diced yellow onion to a bowl and blend
- Grill the sliced onion in a skillet on medium high heat then remove and place on a serving dish
- Add steak to the skillet and cook until desired pinkness – me I went with 5 minutes per side. Remove and let rest on a cutting board for about 5 minutes then cut into bite size pieces
- Heat your clean skillet
- Place a tortilla on a flat surface then add these ingredients in the following order: Cheese->Rice -> Steak -> Beans -> Tomato and Onion bend -> Cheese
- Now fold it up! Fold the sides in then role up tightly until completely sealed
- Carefully transfer to your heated skillet (seem side down first) and lightly brown one side for about 30 or so then flip and repeat
- Move to a plate and slice. You can add the Guacamole and sour cream to the plate as well for dipping
Now you can eat it!
The one on the left has Blue cheese dressing the one on the right has Swiss cheese.
I was so impressed with tamaraleigh recipe that I had to try it the next day but I did not have the same ingredients so I improvised. I also wanted to experiment a bit and have a least one topped with Blue Cheeses dressing. I am glad I did! This is a tasty meal and actually it turned out much better then I expected! This is a keeper!
- 20 oz of boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup of plain bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon of Basal
- 1 teaspoon of Oregano
- 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- Sliced Swiss Cheese – enough to top chicken
- About a tablespoon of Blue Cheese dressing – enough to top chicken
- Black Forest Ham thinly sliced – enough to top chicken
- Parsley – enough to pretty up your chicken
- Olive oil – enough to coat bottom of of oven proof skillet – I recommend cast iron!
The steps for building this meal are not difficult and don’t have to be to create a great tasting meal.
Steps to goodness!
- Move up the rack in your oven so when you put your skillet in the oven the top of the food will be about 5 or 6″ from the flame of the broiler. Turn on the broiler.
- Add Bread Crumbs, Basal, Oregano and Salt to a zip top bag. Mix it up a bit.
- Preheat your oven proof skillet to medium high heat with enough oil to just coat the bottom
- Put a few pieces of chicken at a time into the bag and shake to coat chicken
- Add chicken to the pan and cook 3-4 minutes on each side. Be sure not to burn the chicken it does have a breaded coating after all.
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of ham
- Top each piece of chicken with either of the cheeses.
- Put the skilet into oven for a few minutes. You are looking to brown the cheese and toast the ham a bit
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with Parsley
- Serve and enjoy you will!
A different view but the same applies, the one on the left has Blue cheese dressing the one on the right has Swiss cheese.