I was in the mood for coffee cake but did not want the regular kind. I was looking for something more like a muffin. The advantage of a muffin is you get more crispy goodness due to more contact with the pan.
Ingrediants for the Streusel topping
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour- spoon and level int the measuring cup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
Ingrediants for the Muffins
- 1/2 cup butter – room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour – spoon and level int the measuring cups
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream – I used the light version
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
Directions for the Streusel topping:
- In a medium bowl, stir together: brown sugar, ground cinnamon, flour, and salt.
- With two knives cut crosswise until mixture resembles large coarse crumbs. This can take a few minutes but will work
- Refrigerate until ready to use!
Directions for the Muffins:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease 12-cup muffin tin
- In a small bowl whisk together: flour, baking powder, and baking soda then set aside
- Using a stand mixer on medium speed, beat together butter, sour cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy
- Beat in eggs one at a time until well combined
- With mixer on low speed, beat flour mixture into liquid mixture. Add the flour mixture slowly
- Add half the batter to the prepared muffin cups
- Top with half the Streusel topping mixture
- Add the second half of the batter to the muffin cups on top of the Streusel
- Add the remaining batter
- Use the rest of the Streusel to top off the muffin cups
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. In order to get the muffins out of the muffin tins I had to do the double flip method. That’s where you place a cookie sheet covering the muffins, flip everything over so the muffins are face down on the cookie sheet (released from the tin), put the wire rack on top of the muffins then flip again.
Inspired by Martha, who isn’t!