With Cinco de Mayo coming up and great food sales what better way to celebrate and have fun with food by making Quesadillas and tortilla chips! Yes I know Quesadillas are easy to make but they still taste good and the real fun part is coming up with your own creation. I am going all out here not just cheese but a blend of different ingredients some even leftovers.
I also made some homemade tortilla chips and will start with those first. The homemade baked tortilla chips are very easy to make and taste so much better then store bought.
Ingredients for Tortilla Chips
- Tortillas – flour or corn or both – I went with both
- Vegetable oil – small bowl enough to dip a cut tortilla into
- Lime juice – from a fresh squeezed lime
- Kosher salt
Baked Tortilla Chips Steps
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Cut a stack of tortillas with a pizza cutting into well pizza looking slices
- Combine the oil and Lime juice blend well
- Using tongs dip each tortilla slice into the oil lime blend making sure the blend runs off the slice. You don’t want it to oily
- Place each oil lime coated pre-tortilla chip in a single layer on a baking sheet then put a dash of salt on each chip
- Cook for 7 minutes but check after 5 minutes. You are looking for these to brown just a bit and maybe even bubble a bit. Once you learn your oven you should be good to go without watching it. Mine was 7 minutes.
- Once done place on a plate and let cool for a bit. The chips will become more crunchy as the cool.
- Top then, eat them, enjoy them!
Moving on to the making the Quesadillas you need to decide what you want in them. I decided to go with the ingredients below but not all in one Quesadilla! I put out all the ingredients and have people decide what they want. It only takes a minute to build and a few minutes to warm up/cook.
Ingredients for your Quesadilla – pick one pick all it’s up to you
- Torilla – I went with corn this time
- Taco leftovers from my recipe Hard Shell Tacos (kind of and after the fact) – Beef
- Shredded cheeses
- Sour Cream
- Guacamole – see my recipe Homemade Baked Taquitos and Guacamole
- Pinto beans – I used the canned version
- Dice Jalapeno
- Red Bell Pepper – Chopped
- Green Bell Pepper – Chopped
- Yellow Onions – Grilled
Build your Quesadilla!
- Place cheese on half a tortilla
- On the same half add a couple of table spoons of select ingredients from above. Be creative here and mix it up!
- Top with cheese – yes on the same half. The cheese will help it stick together
- Fold over the empty side an add to a medium high heat skillet for a few minutes each side
- Remove from skillet once the cheese is melted and the tortilla is slightly brown
- Wait a few minutes for the Quesadilla to cool before cutting with a pizza cutter
- You can top them, dip them or just dive in and eat them. These are so good!