I was trying to make a meatball Calzone but it ended up looking more like a meatloaf Calzone. It still tasted great and was a big hit for dinner and even leftovers. I would go so far to say it tasted even better as a leftover!
You will need pizza dough to make the Clazone which you can just use any pizza dough recipe. I went with the recipe from my bread machine book.
Ingredients for Calzone:
- Pizza dough – homemade or store bought
- 1 cup of Provolone cheese – shredded
- Classico spaghetti sauce – I love this stuff!
Ingredients for Meatball:
- 1 pound of 93% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Yellow onion – diced
- 1 garlic cloves – diced
- 1 cup of plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried Basal
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried Oregano
- 1 pinch of Kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 table spoons of tomato paste blend with a 1/4 cup of water
Build it, cook it, top it, eat it
- Make or purchase the pizza dough. I created mine with my bread machine
- Put all the Meatball ingredients into a large bowl and blend well
- Form the meatballs into even sizes – I made 5
- Put the meatballs in the Frig for about 15 minutes to cool back down so they will stay together during cooking
- Preheat a large skillet to medium high heat and place meatballs in skillet but make sure they are not touching. You will need to rotate the meatballs often so they cook evenly. I rotated them with a fork and spatula but be careful you don’t want these to fall apart. Cook for about 10 minutes or until brown with a crunchy outside.
- Remove from the skillet when done with a large spoon and place into simmering spaghetti sauce. Let the meatballs simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Roll out dough into 6 inch discs just like you would do if you where making a small pizza crust
- Place pinch of grated Provolone cheese in the center of the disc then place the sauced meatball in the center and wrap it up.
- Place seem side down on a baking sheet
- Brush each calzone with olive oil and top with the Provolone cheese
- Cook in oven for about 40 minutes
- Heat the spaghetti sauce
- When the calzones are done remove from oven and slice down the middle topping with spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with Parmusaun cheese
- Serve and enjoy!