I love Italian Beef sandwiches and when you add Provolone cheese, grilled green peppers and onion with a dab of horseradish you have the perfect blend of flavors! All you need now is a side of Yukon Gold potatoes and veggies and you are set.
Usually I cook potatoes in the microwave if I am going to cook them whole as it’s fast, easy, little fuss and tastes good. This time around I wanted to try something different, boiling. I wanted Yukon Gold potatoes for dinner and thought what about boiling these in Chicken Broth then just smash and pan fry them a bit to look as a golden nugget would.
Golden Nuggets ingredients
- Small Yukon Gold potatoes
- Chicken Broth – enough to cover the potatoes half way
- Water – enough to cover the potatoes the other half of the way
To make the golden nugget clean the potatoes and add them to a sauce pan covered halfway up the potatoes with chicken broth then cover completely with water. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender when you poke it with a fork. Once tender transfer the potatoes to a skillet heat to medium high heat with just a coating of oil in the skillet. Gently smash the potatoes with something flat, I used a metal spatula. Don’t smash to hard as you are not making hash browns. Cook about 3-4 minutes per side until you have the golden brown crispness. Season to taste, perhaps just a bit of salt then serve.
Italian Beef Sandwiches!
While you are cooking the potatoes you can prepare the Italian Beef sandwiches.
Italian Beef Sandwich ingredients
- Green Pepper – Sliced
- Yellow Onion – Sliced
- Provolone Cheese
- Horseradish – Cream Style
- Italian Beef – I went with Papa Charlie’s Italian Beef this time around. You can make your own and I have but I don’t have a meat slicer.
- French Rolls – I went with S. Rosen’s French Rolls which are my favorite for packaged store bought
Italian Beef Sandwich steps
- Slice the green pepper and onion and brown a bit in a medium high heat skillet then remove.
- Add the French rolls face down to the skillet until toasty and remove
- Add the Italian Beef to the skillet until it’s just warm then blend it with the green pepper, onion and cheese until the cheese is melted
- Top the French rolls with the beef vegetable blend and add the Horseradish. How much and how you see fit or what your taste buds and nose can handle
Add the sandwich, golden potatoes and side of your favorite vegetables to the plate and enjoy! BTW this tastes amazing!