This is a last minute recipe I came up with because I had a sudden urge for a spicy and crunchy meal. The crunchy part was going to be the hard shell but all I had on hand was flour tortillas so what to do? Pan fry them of course! I know flour tortilla don’t crisp up as corn tortilla would but I was not going to run out to the store for just that.
Ingredients for the Taco meat:
- 1 pound Ground Beef 93% Lean – This just taste so much better then the higher fat content blend. I would go with grass fed if I could afford it.
- Green Pepper – Chopped
- Yellow Onion medium – Chopped
- 1 can of Black Beans – drained
- 2 Cloves of Garlic – diced
- 1/4 cup of water
- Dash of Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika powder
Preparing the taco filing is simple and quick process as there are just a few steps until you can enjoy the wounder flavors.
- Add the Green Pepper and Onion to a skillet heated to medium high heat cooking until soft. Be sure to stir every minute or two to cook evenly.
- Add ground beef to the skillet browning and crumbling the meat
- Next into the skillet is the Black Beans mixing well then add the remaining ingredients mixing then reduce heat to low.
You will need additional ingredients to build your Tacos:
- Couple table spoons of vegetable oil
- Grated cheeses – I like the fine grate for this recipe
- Flour Tortilla
- Sour Cream
- Ice Berg Lettuce
- Archer Farms – Cuban-Style Black Bean dip – This is new at Target and it’s now my favorite. No I was not paid to say that it’s just a great product!
Heat a separate skillet to medium adding vegetable oil just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet. You have to work fast here as you don’t want to overcook the tortilla:
- Add tortilla to skillet
- Top with cheese and a couple tables spoons of the taco filling
- Fold tortilla in half cooking until bottom in brown then flip browning the opposite side.
- Remove from skillet and repeat these steps until you have the amount for this this meal. You can do more then one at a time but be sure not to burn them
As for plating your meal you can do this in many ways. You can add the taco to the plate then have dips surround the taco. You can build a mini taco salad. You can also just put all your toppings on top of the taco and eat it with a fork and knife. Be creative!